The holiday season is upon us, and has been since at least the first Christmas-themed commercials began airing in late September. With Thanksgiving merely days away, now is the perfect time to count one’s blessings and give back. Several local organizations are still in need of volunteers to assist with feeding the hungry and caring for the city’s less fortunate during Thanksgiving and throughout December. Many local schools require their students to log hours for volunteer work, and right now is a great time to catch up on any hours they might be lacking.
Volunteering has many benefits for adults and youth alike. Aside from earning hours, volunteering allows students the opportunity to develop interpersonal skills, build a network of new friends and peers, and gain professional development skills. In addition, numerous studies have proven the mental and physical health benefits of volunteering.
In Houston, there are countless ways for students and families to help better the community this holiday season. Listed below are some of the top organizations in the city who will need extra helping hands over the next few weeks. Feel free to add any additional suggestions in the comment section:
- 65th Annual HEB Thanksgiving Day Parade: There’s still time to be apart of this Houston Thanksgiving tradition. Sign-up with a group to make the day even more fun!
- TXU Energy Houston Turkey Trot: With over 15,000 people registered to participate this year, there are plenty of ways to get involved in Houston’s largest Thanksgiving Day run. The TXU Energy Houston Turkey Trot benefits Neighborhood Centers, Inc. which works to develop communities for citizens from all walks of life throughout the city.
- VolunteerHouston: If you’re looking for a one-stop shop for volunteer opportunities throughout the city, look no further than VolunteerHouston.org. Their page is constantly being updated with new opportunities daily, and there’s certainly an increased need right now through the end of the year.
- Volunteer in Houston: A comprehensive list of volunteer dates & times for Thanksgiving through New Years
- City Wide Club – Houston: Volunteer sign-ups for their Annual Thanksgiving Big Super Feast have closed, however, there’s still time to register & work their Annual Christmas Eve Big Feast.
- Jewish Family Services: The Jewish Family Services Organization is always in need of teen volunteers to help with community outreach through a variety of fun activities and services. They’re currently looking for volunteers to assist with Thanksgiving and Chanukah food drives for home-bound seniors.
- 2-1-1 Texas: This website features holiday volunteer opportunities throughout Texas, in case you’re travelling for the break & still want to sneak in a little community involvement.
- Star of Hope: One of Houston’s most trusted and relied upon shelters will be in great need of extra supplies and volunteers this December. They’re currently looking for volunteers to help with a number of programs and supply distributions.
- Additional Holiday Volunteer Listings: https://www.eventbrite.com/directory?q=volunteer+thanksgiving&loc=Houston%2C+TX